Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Boiled Dinner

Well, that's what we call it when we start with some meat, throw in vegetables and water and boil away. I often make this from leftover roasts. A simple country dish, it really is easy to make. I started with some leftover pork shoulder roast that we had the other night. I just cut it up into cubes. Added a cut up onion - you want big pieces. Some carrots and potatoes went into the pot. I also added some kale and cabbage. This was covered with water and seasoned with salt and pepper. It was simmered until the potatoes and carrots were soft. To sop up the juices I threw together a quick whole wheat Irish soda bread. This was simply made from 3 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of rolled oats, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, about 1.5 cups of milk, and some salt. A little dense and dry but it was hearty and delicious soaked in the soup.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

I have been meaning to try an Irish soda bread for a while. A nice dry and dense bread would work well soaking up the liquids of a soup or stew.