Sunday, December 21, 2008

Japanized Chinese

On Wednesday evening I went to dinner with my friends from Osaka University. They took me to a Chinese restaurant way up on the top of a skyscraper with an incredible view of Osaka. I would say some of the things in the restaurant may be traditional Chinese but this was definitely Japanized. Our meal was served in many small courses. I would say the flavors were quite bland compared to what you would find in China but it was pretty tasty.

First course was a variety plate containing some barbequed pork, jellyfish, some kind of roll with vegetables and rice, and I think the fried piece was chicken.

Second course: Shark fin soup. Not nearly as good as the shark fin soup I've had in China.

The third course tasted pretty good. A piece of fugu was accompanied by a scallop, mushrooms, and baby corn.

For our fourth course we had a lightly battered and fried shrimp served with pineapple and a beef and vegetable dish.

These steamed delights were our fifth course. They looked gorgeous and tasted so so.

Another soup to top off the meal.

Finally we had dessert. It was some kind of mango pudding I think.

And me and my hosts. Professor Mishima on the right and Professor Ohshima standing next to me on the left.

No comments: