Monday, November 26, 2007

What else is there to do with it?

Since I had to cancel Thanksgiving and I still had to roast my 18 pound bird, we've been feasting on turkey for a few days now. What can you do with leftover turkey? There's tetrazzini, turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey chili, turkey stirfry, turkey pasta, turkey pot pie, turkey salad. Yes, the list is endless. I've had plenty of the soup and sandwiches. Tonight I had a hankerin for mexican flavors. And I wanted to make something quick. So I threw this together.

What to call it? Hmm . . how about Cheezy Turkey Carnitas on Sweet Potatoes. Yeah, that sounds good.

I slivered an onion and chopped 4 cloves of garlic and cooked them until good and done. I added some finely sliced celery (it's what I had in the fridge). I also threw in some freshly ground cumin and corriander along with some red chili powder and a nice smokey hungarian paprika. Toasted the spices for 30 seconds and threw in the shredded turkey. Once heated through I deglazed the pan by adding about 1/3 a bottle of Corona beer. Salt and pepper to season and a half cup of tomato sauce. I let that simmer just for a bit. Spooned it over halved already baked sweet potatoes. Topped it with some cheddar cheese and popped it into a 375 oven for about 15 minutes. It was pretty tasty. Would have been better if I had some sour cream and fresh salsa to go with it. I desperately need to get to the grocery store.

No comments: