Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wedge Salad

I must admit that iceberg lettuce is not my favorite. I hardly ever eat it. It just has no flavor and no nutritional value. The only thing it has going for it is its wonderful crispness. This is my favorite way to eat iceberg lettuce. With lots of blue cheese dressing, fresh tomatoes and crispy bacon. The lettuce is just a carrier for the rest of this goodness. This quintessential American salad sure is good. I even managed to lighten the dressing by using fat free yogurt instead of sour cream and mayonnaise. The lettuce must be served as an intact wedge to take advantage of the full crunch when you bite into all the layers.

Light and almost healthy blue cheese dressing

1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
3/4 cup nonfat yogurt
20 good grinds of black pepper
3 tbsp rice vinegar

1 comment:

Astra Libris said...

Such a beautiful. light, healthful, blue cheese salad! You just made my day - I adore blue cheese, and never imagined a light blue cheese dressing could be possible - but you proved that not only is it possible, it sounds better and much more refreshing than the mayo version! Thank you so much for the recipe!