Saturday, April 4, 2009

Country Style Pork Ribs

Nothing says lovin' like slow cooked, dry rubbed, country style pork ribs. I started with these thick cut bone-in country ribs.

I made a dry rub with freshly ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, red chili powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper.

These were rubbed into the meat and the ribs were placed in a zip lock bag and allowed to sit for about four hours in the fridge.

Meanwhile, I made some skillet corn bread. I followed this recipe from Cookworm but I left out the herbs. It is a nice recipe. Not too sweet and the yogurt adds a nice acidity to the bread. I did use skim milk and nonfat yogurt but I didn't skimp on the butter.

I "smoked" the ribs in the oven. I placed a rack on a sheet pan and placed the ribs on top of the rack. Into the pan I poured some liquid smoke and wrapped the whole thing in foil. I thought the smoke aromas would rise up and flavor the meat and I was right. The ribs had a wonderful delicate smoky flavor. I cooked them covered at 375 F for two hours and then removed the foil and crisped up the ribs at 400 F for another 30 minutes. The meat was falling off the bone delicious. I didn't cook any bbq sauce onto the ribs but I did dip the meat in some on the plate. With a side of cornbread and coleslaw, this rib dinner sure was satisfying.

13 comments:

surfingtheworldcuisine said...

Absolutely amazing!!! Can't even remember when I had something like that. That's the joy of living in Turkey! :)

La Table De Nana said...

I am really enjoying your photos Greg..Did you add new lights? Your photos have always been good..but now they're even gooder:)
I say that humbly..:)

Siri said...

Looks like a satisfying warmer weather dinner. I love cornbread cooked right in the skillet and can't think of anything better to go alongside those ribs.

Thanks for sharing,
Siri

Martha said...

My husband's favorite. But on the prairie ribs are a food group.

bigfish_chin said...

I been stop blogging since a while. But your lovely photos make me wanna come back to your blog :)
Pork Ribs... Yummy!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Yum! That looks delicious, Greg! Looks like lots of people are thinking comfort food with a spring that isn't quite spring just yet.

Suzy said...

I love country style ribs and yours looks wonderful Greg. That's how I like to cook my cornbread too. Great pics.

Dragon said...

I would just love this for dinner tonight. Yum!

test it comm said...

Those ribs look good!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

This sounds wonderful... I'm going to make this sometime this week... I have lots of these in my freezer!

chuck said...

Followed the directions for cooking and the meat came out so tender it was amazing! Now that I know how to make it come out tender, I can play with different seasonings.

Unknown said...

These are AMAZING! First time trying dry rub ribs and three days later I am trying them again. THis is being shared with friends. Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh! These were fantastic! I am convinced that a dry rub is the only way to go. Nice caramelized, slightly spicy outside & tender, seasoned, fall-off-the-bone inside. I made another recipe with over twice the cooking time, and they didn't come close to the flavor profile & tenderness of this recipe. Aside from changing up the seasonings every so often for variety, I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!