Monday, February 25, 2008

It's all about MeMe

Yes, I've been tagged. Astra Libris of Food for Laughter fame has tagged me with a MeMe. You know the drill on these things. One blogger tags you with something where you have to ask questions then you get to tag five others to do the same thing. Kind of like a blogger chain mail but more fun. We get to find our more about everyone. Now, you all have to put my name on a list and send me $5 to continue the chain. Oh wait, wrong chain letter. Let's get back to ME, shall we? Interesting questions.

What were you doing 10 years ago?

Oh boy, I can hardly remember what I was doing yesterday. Now I have to think about 10 years ago? Let's see - February 2008. I had just moved from California to Fargo in July 1996 and was right in the middle of my second year as an Assistant Professor. My lab was set up and running and my first graduate student was working my research group. We had survived the worst winter on record in North Dakota and the flood of the millenium. My son was born just six months before and we were in our first house. Life was good.

What were you doing 1 year ago?

After 10 years I was still in Fargo. I was an Associate Professor and had won the college teaching award. Last year at this time I had (and still have) a thriving research group looking for new anticancer compounds. I was preparing for a two week trip to France in May which turned out spectacular. I was also enjoying my new kitchen remodel that we completed a few years ago.

Five snacks you enjoy:

I have to pick five? That's hard. Let's see what I can come up with.

1. Raw vegetables. Yes, I like carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower - all the typical vegetable platter raw vegetables.
2. Dill Pickle potato chips. I love the tangy taste of these. I can't buy them because I'll sit down and eat every last one as soon as the bag is opened.
3. Mixed nuts. Good for you but calorie and fat dense. I have to be careful with my portions.
4. Chocolate. Love the stuff. Especially dark chocolate.
5. Red wine! Is that a snack? It is to me!

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:

A tough question. I've never imagined myself as a millionaire, so it's hard to decide. A million dollars is not a lot these days. I guess I will think about what I would do if money were not an object for concern.

1. Start a winery.
2. Buy a new car.
3. Take a long cruise with my family.
4. Really outfit my kitchen with every gadget and dish I like.
5. Give to every charity that asks.

Five bad habits:

I don't have bad habits. I'm perfect!

1. I like to argue and play Devil's Advocate.
2. I leave my dirty socks on the bedroom floor.
3. I procrastinate.
4. I don't call my father often enough.
5. I don't hear what people are saying when I'm concentrating on something else.

Five things you like doing:

This one is easy.

1. Running.
2. Cooking.
3. Gardening.
4. Photography.
5. Enjoying wine.

Five things you would never wear again:

Hmm, that would imply that I have worn them before. This MeMe business must have been started by a woman! Men don't think about what they wear.

1. Red heart boxer shorts.
2. Black 'Member's Only' jacket.
3. Cowboy boots.
4. V-neck sweater.
5. Velcro tennis shoes.

Five favorite toys:

Another easy peasy question. Of course I have lots of kitchen toys, but I'm not sure if they are my favorites compared to these.

1. iPod Touch.
2. iPod nano.
3. Macbook air
4. Apple TV
5. Canon Rebel XT.

Can you tell I like Apple products?

Now it's the hard part. I have to pick five other bloggers to tag. The problem is there are way too many? How do I decide who to tag? Ok . . here's five that I think will have fun with this.

First - Kevin at Closet Cooking. He makes some fantastic food and I want to see how another guy will answer these silly questions.

How about Anne over there in Sweden? She is such a prolific blogger. I can't keep up with all the wonderful stuff on her blog.

I'd like to call out Christine who is much more than a Fledgling Cook!

Miss Bliss the frolicking foodie hasn't been blogging that long. Time to share with us who you are!

And last, but certainly not least, Nora with Life's Smörgasborg. She has some very interesting food from down under, and I think she's a runner too!

Oh, there are so many more I could have called out for this. Sorry if you weren't picked. I love all your blogs.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, fun! I'll play. :)

Astra Libris said...

Greg, thank you for answering the MeMe! :-) I really enjoyed reading your answers - it's such fun getting to know fellow bloggers better. I especially enjoyed learning more about your research and teaching. It's already clear that your teaching award is very well deserved - you have such a great wit and engaging style, of which this post is a perfect example!

I agree with you about the millionaire question, btw... How brief the gap of time seems between when a million was really a fortune, and now... I had to go through this whole thought process of "do they literally mean one million? Or do they just mean completely financially unencumbered?" (I came to the same conclusion as you, and just went with the latter. :-) Much more fun to contemplate. :-)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hey Greg :D It's always nice to get to know our fellow bloggers a little more. Thanks for visiting and I'll be back often :D

Nora B. said...

Hi Greg.
It's nice to learn more about you and thanks for tagging me. We do have a few things in common so I'll try not to "copy" your answers. ;-)

I'll definitely play along, but it'll probably be in a few weeks time before I do it as I have to submit my thesis in 4.5 weeks time (*shiver*) and I am not writing any new posts for now (except for the Daring bakers one).

test it comm said...

Thanks for the tag. I like the sound of those toys as well!