Sunday, February 15, 2009

Potato and Spinach Frittata

I have not really made a frittata before and I sort of followed this recipe I found for my first one last night which called for adding beer to the mix.

The frittata, of course, starts with potatoes. I sliced about 6 good sized potatoes into 1/4 inch slices using my mandolin. These were tossed with one medium onion, some olive oil, salt and pepper.

This is a good 3 handfuls of baby spinach.

I took a large skillet and cooked the potatoes and onions in olive oil for about 5 or 6 minutes until they just started to get some brown color. Once things were getting to be pretty brown on the bottom of the pan I added about 1/2 of a bottle of a dark cream stout. In hindsight I should have used a light beer as the original recipe called for. The dark stout added just a bit too much bitterness to the dish and the dark color made the eggs in the end look dirty brown. Tasted good but certainly could have looked better.

After the beer was added the potatoes and onions were simmered with stirring every now and then until they were cooked through - about 10 minutes. I added a little water along the way to keep the pan from drying out and scorching. Once the potatoes were tender, the spinach was tossed in.

Immediately after the spinach was added, 8 beaten eggs were poured in and distributed evenly through the potatoes and the whole mess was topped with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. This was simmered on the stove for just a few minutes and then placed in a preheated 450 °F oven with the broiler on.

After 6 or 7 minutes under the broiler, the eggs were set and the top was beginning to brown.

I garnished these simply with some green onions.

I have to say the frittata turned out pretty tasty and everyone in the family got to enjoy some!


2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Your frittata photo and the kitty are both fabulous shots:)

Anonymous said...

That looks very delicious! Love the use of darker beer :)