Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Rhubarb Jam

We're not done with rhubarb yet! Our rather cool season has kept it tasting good. I don't see an end to it anytime soon. My rhubarb is the green variety. Not as pretty to look at as the red rhubarb, but it tastes just the same, if not better. I decided to make some rhubarb jam. So easy to do and so tasty. I just took 4 pounds of chopped rhubarb and 4 cups of sugar together in a big pot. I added a tsp of pectin. It doesn't really need much as rhubarb has a fair amount of pectin naturally. This was cooked down for about an hour or so until it was at the thickness (when cooled) that I like for jam.

I preserved the jam by processing in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes to seal the jars. I didn't have very many small jars but these pint jars did the trick.

The jam doesn't have to be canned. You can always freeze it in jars. Leave some head space for expansion. The jam will last for a few weeks in the fridge.

Warmed up this makes an amazing rhubarb sauce for ice cream too.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

I just made a strawberry rhubarb jam that I enjoyed. An all rhubarb jam sounds like it would be very good as well!