Monday, July 21, 2008

Summertime Pesto

Nothing says summer like fresh basil in the garden. My basil is just starting to come to fruition and I should have a LOT of it very soon. Of course the best thing for basil is fresh pesto. I love it on simple pasta with nothing else. Tonight I was looking for a quick meal and penne with pesto was just the thing to satisfy me. I threw in some fresh spinach too. I don't usually do this but tonight I wanted a more hearty green pesto full of nutritious greens. My only problem this evening is that I ran out of parmigiano reggiano. I know - sacrilege! But it happened. The pesto was good but it just wasn't quite right without it. For this pesto I used a couple heaping handfuls of fresh picked basil, a handful of fresh baby spinach leaves, 3 cloves of garlic, the juice of half a lemon, a half cup of walnuts (pine nuts are also traditionally used), salt, pepper, and olive oil - maybe 3 tablespoons. I threw it all in the blender except for the olive oil which was drizzled in until the consistency was just right. This was simply poured over the hot cooked pasta and it was mixed up and enjoyed! Ah, Pesto!

3 comments:

Astra Libris said...

Your final line, "ah, pesto!" sums up the delights of pesto perfectly! Fresh picked basil from the garden is one of the best culinary pleasures ever... Your pesto sounds scrumptious, too - I love the addition of spinach!

Teresa said...

I was just wondering what I should do with all that basil in the garden right now. :-) Perfect idea for lunch!

test it comm said...

That looks good! I really enjoy a simple homemade pesto on pasta as well.