Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fish and Seafood Chowder

I love a good chowder and haven't had any in quite a while. So I threw together this New England inspired soup with an eye for making it light and healthy, but very tasty. I started with a medium onion chopped finely. This was sweated in a hot pan with a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Once the onions began to turn translucent I threw in a good healthy dose of chopped garlic and a couple cups of finely diced cabbage along with two finely diced potatoes and a cup of frozen corn. After sautéing for a few minutes I added 3 cups of skim milk and 3 cups of water. I also seasoned the broth with some clam dashi powder to give it more of a seafood flavor. I also sprinkled in a tsp or so of Old Bay seasoning. I let this simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables were thoroughly cooked. At the end I added 1 can (~15 oz) of pink salmon, 8 oz of imitation crab meat, about 20 peeled raw shrimp and 6 oz of chopped up pollock filets. This was cooked for an additional 8-10 minutes just until the fish was cooked through. Even though the chowder was low fat with all the fish and seafood it had a wonderful texture and an even more wonderful hearty flavor. It was very satisfying.


Kevin said...

This fish chowder looks good. With shrimp and salmon in it you just can't go wrong.

Greg said...

Yes, I haven't really used canned salmon before. I was worried about it tasting too tinny but it turned out very nice.

missbliss said...

I've been looking for this 'dashi' you speak of for some time. no luck. A seafood (well, more of a seafood mammal diet, but nevermind) does good things for your cholesterol.

p.s. I was saddened by the lack of 'broth' hehe