Friday, March 13, 2009

Hummus

This middle eastern garbanzo bean dip goes great with fresh made pita bread. And, it is so easy to make. I start with two cans of drained garbanzo beans. You can certainly cook them yourself but a can is so easy. I add a couple of cloves of garlic, juice of one lemon, 2 tbsp of tahini, salt and pepper. I place everything into the food processor and turn it on. I drizzle in olive oil until it is the right creamy consistency. You can add some water or some of the water from the bean can of you want to cut down on the amount of fat. This is garnished with kalamata olives and a sprinkle of ground sumac.

3 comments:

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Yum, you've hit upon one of my favorites Greg, and it's healthful too! (I love sumac & use it on eggs and other things ~ it adds such a nice lemony, tart tang.)

Have you ever tried it with canned Cannelli beans? (A tip I learned from Giada De Laurentiis)~ it's delicious made that way as well.

Your pita looks fabulous! So much better than most you can buy. I haven't made that in quite some time. Do you have a favorite recipe?

I've always use Julia Child's but I would love to compare it with another recipe.

Have a great weekend. (You have me craving hummus...) :)~m.

Greg said...

Hi Mari,

I have used cannellini beans with good success! I've made kidney bean dips similarly and flavored it with cumin and lime. Any kind of bean can make a good dip.

I use the recipe from The Bread Bible. It ferments for a day or two in the fridge and has wonderful flavor. I haven't tried Julia's recipe but I should look it up.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Thanks Greg! I like the idea of the fermentation period, I'll try to look that recipe up.

Have a great weekend!